The options for roofing have exploded in today’s market.
Newer innovations and versions keep flushing the market, be it roofing materials, roofing types, or application methods. Multiple versions mean trade-offs in advantages and costs.
If you are looking to get new roofing then the wisest route for this market is to keep checking back periodically to keep yourself updated.
One of the popular rendition you should know about is the Modified-Bitumen roof. It quickly gained popularity in the market for its many advantages and affordable pricing.
What are Modified-Bitument roofs?
Modified-Bitumen is a type of membrane roofing. They have 3 types: Synthetic Rubber (Thermoset), Modified Bitumen, and Thermoplastic Membrane.
Modified-Bitumen is an evolution of asphalt roofing and they are made using asphalt along with a variety of rubber modifiers and solvents.
The application for Membrane roofs is most commonly seen for commercial buildings, though they are becoming increasingly common in residential buildings.
These roofs are a popular choice due to its advantages which makes it unique.
What Makes Modified-Bitument Roofs Different?
Modified-Bitumen roofs have some really useful components. The 5 layers involved in the creation of this roof can be used in many valid combinations to create unique protection.
- Layer 1 – Insulation: Provides ‘R’ value, or thermal resistance, for temperature stability of the roof system.
- Layer 2 – Modified Base Sheets or Plies: Modified/unmodified base or ply sheets applied under a modified bitumen top ply.
- Layer 3 – Modified Bitumen Membranes: Factory fabricated sheet membrane composed of co-polymer reinforced with polyester or fiberglass.
- Layer 4 – Adhesive: Waterproofing material with a bonding agent.
- Layer 5 – Surfacing: Provides UV protection and weathering resistance.
What Makes It Worthy?
After a comparison with other similar types of roofing choices, Modified-Bitumen Roofs are considered to be worthy because of 7 important reasons:
- Seamless Seams: For joining the ends of the sheet, multiple applications have been innovated: heat, hot-mopped, cold-adhesive, self-adhesive. This creates a seamless connection between the different sheets.
- 5 layer protection: The five layers of protection reinforces the resistance against environmental elements.
- Leaks Less: Because of the tight connections, it leaks less. This is a huge benefit as a top concern associated with flat roofing systems is leakage.
- Tears Less: Due to the combination of fiberglass and/or polyester reinforcement layers, these roofs are extremely-tear resistant. This means it will handle foot-traffic like a walk in the park.
- Lives Long: Because of its density and added polymers, it can last up to 20 years. Routinely annual maintenance checks are assumed here.
- Tough: Modified Bitumen Roofing Systems are designed to withstand harsh exposure to extreme environmental elements.
- Easy Repair & Maintenance: Flat roofs usually require repairs due to failures at the seals and flashing. Since these issues are less likely and easy to detect in Modified-Bitument roofs, maintenance and repairs can be done quickly and efficiently through bitumen patches.
Are Modified-Bitumen Roofs Right For You?
It depends. Do you have a flat roof structure? If yes, then this can be a strong contender for your consideration.
However, when it comes to choosing Modified-Bitumen as the roofing choice, there are people on both sides of the option.
People who like it: Customers who like and consider it, mainly incline towards it due to its durability factor and low maintenance. Manufacturers side with it due to its stability and strength.
People who don’t like it: Adversaries who don’t like it, mainly decline it due to the challenging installation of the layers. Also, they point out the application techniques, like the torch down (using heat), to be hazardous.
Conclusion: Become decision-ready
Modified-Bitumen roofs are one of the most trusted flat and low-slope roofing systems used in the industry today.
You can continue to research more and if the advantages appeal to you, then go for it. Remember, getting the desired outcome and enjoying all the advantages of this roof depends on the installation quality.
So only place your trust in a modified bitumen roofing installation expert.