Planning is essential when hosting a housewarming, birthday party, or any important event at home.
While it’s quite challenging to make your guests comfortable and happy, a welcoming atmosphere and hospitable quality will surely make their experience unforgettable and extra special.
Start with a Clear Invite
Be a good host by clearly indicating in your invite that there will be food, beverages, and friends coming.
Your invite should include the occasion or purpose of the event, date, time, and the venue (even if it will be held at home).
It’s okay to email the invite or sends it via social media channels, like Facebook, but it would be better if you can hand them out personally or by snail mail.
Be Well-prepared Hosting Overnight Guests
Whether you’re expecting guests to a sleepover or not, you should be prepared to host overnight guests every time you’re planning a party or event at home.
Being prepared at all times is one of the top qualities of a great house host.
Make sure to keep your home clean by getting rid of clutter, redecorating important parts of the house, and repairing broken fixtures.
Here are the other things you need to prepare when hosting overnight guests:
- Best Mattress: If your guest room has a very old mattress, it’s high time to impress your guests by replacing it with a new mattress. Today, new and best mattresses have more advanced features, such as cooling technology through copper-infusion or gel-infused foam, which help avoid night sweating, most especially if you live in a warm climate.
- Bedding: While your children may have spare cartoon character-bedding, you can’t expect your guests to be impressed using Sponge Bob or Spider Man-inspired bedding. That’s why you have to make sure that you have adult-sized and comfortable bedding for your guests every time. Silk pillowcases are not just elegant but also very comfortable, which will truly impress your guests, making their sleep more comfortable, like sleeping in a luxury hotel.
- Towels and Toiletries: As a host, you also have to anticipate that your guests might be missed bringing their own towels. It would be nice to stay in a house that can offer these items, most especially in unexpected sleepovers due to natural calamity, too tired to go home, long drive, or any untoward situations.
Know the Morning Must-haves
You and your guests deserve a bright and beautiful morning with a cup of hot and aromatic coffee produced by one of the best coffee makers in the world.
Of course, don’t forget the best pairings for early morning coffee, such as French toast, butter croissant, oatmeal cookies, Belgian waffles, or eggs, and a ham sandwich.
Here are the other early morning must-haves you have to prepare to become a better house host:
- Wireless Charger: Your guests probably won’t notice the zero charge of their devices once they wake up in the morning. So they might need to borrow a wireless charger if they forgot one. Preparing a spare and leaving it in the guest room in an easily accessible area would be a special amenity that they’ll truly appreciate.
- Health and Beauty Essentials: Make sure that the guest room always has a stock of shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion, moisturizer, comb, and blower.
Delicious Food and Drinks
Of course, everyone expects hearty and delicious food served every time, most especially from you.
That’s why you have to plan the menu for the day, not only for the main course but also for snacks.
The main idea is to serve a generous amount of food and drinks that your guests can easily grab.
Here are some food and drink suggestions when hosting an event at home:
- Cocktail Party Foods: Aside from your special cocktail drink recipes, make sure to have plenty of tapenade, bruschetta, and crackers.
- Children’s Party: Some examples of finger foods include mini burgers, chicken fingers, mini pizzas, muffins, jelly, and peanut butter kabobs, spring rolls, chicken wings, or drumsticks, and sausage rolls. Go for homemade juices and smoothies, which are healthy choices instead of soft drinks.
- Pool Party: Some examples of grilled foods include pork barbecue, steak, hot dogs, sausages, and burgers.
Plan Enjoyable Activities
Of course, your house party won’t be complete without enjoyable activities, which will make or break the day.
For pool parties, you can prepare water balloon games, pool race, pool volleyball games, and water polo.
Here are a few examples of other fun activities your guests will surely love at your house party:
- Building a bonfire in your garden for unlimited stories
- Sing or dance contests
- Playing cool music or setting up a karaoke
With proper preparation, you can become a better house host.
Be prepared with great food, fun activities, a comfortable bed, and health and beauty essentials, so your guests will enjoy your party.
Aside from night-time essentials, it’s crucial to know the morning must-haves for your guests to feel more comfortable and warmly welcomed in your home.