The combination of higher humidity and moisture levels in a home can be very disheartening.
Mold growth, damaged building materials, mildew or musty odor, clammy skin and invasion of pests are some of the many serious home problems caused by excessive moisture in the home.
These problems get worse by the day if the excessive moisture in the home is not quickly put under control.
Signs Of High Humidity In A Home
- Peeling paint
- Excessive floorboards creaking
- Wet stains on the ceiling
- Body reactions, e.g. Headaches, shortness of breath, wheezing and chronic cough
- Mold and mildew smell
- Dark spots or discoloration
Tips To Reduce Moisture And Humidity In A Home
One of the very first things to consider if the humidity and moisture level of your home is high is to check the ventilation of your home.
This is particularly important for rooms in the house that see more moisture than others e.g.
Kitchen and bathroom. These rooms should be properly ventilated.
Install vent fans, it is perfect if you already have, and leave them on for a longer period at once.
Make sure exhaust fans in laundry rooms, bathrooms and kitchens vent to the outside.
Dehumidifiers can help to remove moisture from the air.
It also offers the best solution to moisture and humidity in the home, especially in crawl space areas.
The good thing is that there are many brands and types of them to choose from.
And some of them are not that expensive.
Most times, Dehumidifiers are restricted to the house basement because they are best in an area that is sealed off.
Nevertheless, humidifiers can be used for the entire property.
All you need to do is seal off all windows and doors.
For the entire property, get large scale ones.
To get the best result, make sure the humidifier is not close to walls or any object in order to give room for proper air flow.
Air Conditioning Systems
Besides the cooling effect of air conditioners, they are equally very adept at removing moisture and humidity.
Hence, to reduce humidity and moisture in your home, install air conditioners that are a perfect fit for the sizes of each room.
To reduce excess humidity and moisture in your home, experts advise you make your home airtight.
This way, you control cool air from seeping into the house as well as preventing warm air from escaping.
Weatherstripping your home, especially doors and windows help to keep your home airtight.
Weatherstripping is important in warmer environments where humidity is high outside.
Insulators help to maintain the temperature of the home by keeping external interference to the minimum.
At home with insulated walls will achieve a higher degree of air tightness.
Make sure the insulating materials are not moist themselves.
Caulking is similar to weatherstripping.
The difference is that it is usually used to line surfaces that are in constant contact with moist e.g. Tubs, faucets, and sinks.
To control the level of humidity in your home, you do not need to wait for the obvious signs to show.
Humidity monitor will help you monitor the level of humidity in your home.
- Both carpet and rugs are known to retain moisture in homes. Therefore, if you have serious humidity issues, you may want to replace carpet and rugs with tiles or wood flooring.
- All pipes in your home must be properly insulated to avoid moisture from filtering from them into your home.
- Wallpapers or vinyl materials can trap moisture, hence adding to the moisture problem in your home. Stick to painted walls.
- For houses with a basement, make sure there are no cracks. Repair cracks as soon as detected.
- Long, warm showers add to the humidity level of a home, hence, shorter or much cooler showers are advised.
Advantages Of Reduced Moisture And Humidity In The Home
- The very first and most important advantage of reducing humidity and moisture level in your home is your mental health. You will be happier in your home as shown by studies. When you are happier, you often feel better physically. The thought of having your home humidity and moisture problems under control is highly satisfying.
- Preserved home: high moisture level in the home affects many building materials in your home, hence exposing the home to the danger of damage as well as high maintenance cost. When you win the moisture and humidity battle, your home will be in better shape and you will spend much less for maintenance.
- Saves cost and energy: the higher the humidity level in a home, the higher the cost incurred on heating bills. When you keep the humidity level down, it saves you money.
By investing in the right gadgets, you reduce moisture and humidity in your home.
Alongside this, you can bring down the moisture in your house by making a few minor adjustments.
The quickest way to do it is to have a handy Humidifiers, Humidity monitors and the likes.
Not only it saves you hundreds of dollars, but it has few benefits as well and most likely to be the smartest thing you would do for keeping your family safe and sound.