Typically, landscape lighting can be one of the best ways to create an exceptional outdoor design for your yard.
Although it might not be the top home improvement project to do, doing so comes with several aesthetic and practical benefits, not to mention its ability to transform your garden and improve your home’s overall curb appeal.
However, just like other home projects, coming with a great landscape lighting plan can be intimidating. That’s because there are many things to consider to achieve an excellent outcome.
If you want to show off your beautiful landscape at night, here are the three tips to remember when lighting a landscape:
1. Decide On The Choices Of Light
Before anything else, it’s important to choose the types of landscape lighting you’re going to use for your yard.
Generally, the most common choices for outdoor lighting are floodlights, spotlights, path lights, or a combination of the three. If you’re lighting a large area, you can either choose floodlights to cast a wide beam or spotlights for a narrower beam of light.
However, if you want to light up your paths or walkways, you can effectively use path lights to make the space much brighter.
Now that you’ve decided on the types of lights to choose from, the next decision to make is about the types of lightbulbs that are suitable for outdoor setting.
For example, if you’re looking for an efficient version of incandescent, using halogen bulbs can be a good option for less energy consumption and longer life.
But, if you want lightbulbs with more pleasing color range, fluorescent bulbs can be a perfect choice. Also, if you’re searching for an environment-friendly lightbulb option, you may want to look at solar lighting options.
So, when you’re choosing lighting for your landscape, make sure that you know what’s best for you and what you can afford.
This will help you narrow down your choices so that you can end up with the most suitable one for your particular situation.
2. Plan The Placements Of Lighting In The Different Areas
While your landscape lighting fixtures can be placed anywhere, there are some specific spots that should be lighted to provide maximum illumination to the entire place.
Therefore, it’s important to plan the placements of these fixtures in the different areas.
The following are essential areas to consider when lighting a landscape:
- Entries – Lights should be placed at each side of a door or at the side entry doors.
- Driveway – Low-voltage lighting fixtures are the best option along a driveway because they use less energy than other selections.
- Paths – Individually-lit pavers can be used to brighten up a pathway, making the area more welcoming and secure.
- Decks – If you have a grilling spot or seating areas in your deck, lighting it up can be a good way to highlight these areas when you organize an event in your outdoor landscape.
- Gazebos Or Pergolas – If you have these elements in your yard, lighting can be used to illuminate and showcase these beautifully built architecture features.
3. Avoid Excess Light Pollution
When it comes to landscape lighting, too much light or poorly installed lighting can cause unwanted light pollution, which washes out the view of the stars, creates glare that can blind people, and waste money and energy.
Hence, if you want to get the most out of lighting your landscape, you should find time to avoid excess light pollution from the start. To do this, you should do the following steps:
- Don’t hesitate to shield lightbulbs by using fixtures with reflectors and shielding so you can concentrate the light where you want it to be.
- Control the lights by using timers, dimmers, controls, or motion sensors. These devices can make sure that you’ll only turn on lights when needed.
- For better lighting effect, be sure to aim lights thoroughly by positioning them at night and checking their positions from time to time.
- Reduce wattage to create less harsh light effects, while providing illumination and improving aesthetics.
As mentioned, landscape lighting can be one of the best home improvement projects that can take your yard from an empty, boring space to a bling.
With the tips mentioned above, you can successfully create a simple yet professional-looking exterior lighting effects on your own.
This will not only add beauty and refreshing feels to your place, but will also protect your outdoors against any security threats at night.
However, if you believe that installing landscape lighting can be best handled by professionals, then, you should hire an experienced lighting design company to do the job for you.
They have the best lighting designs and ideas that can help you decide which one is the best for your yard.