Did you know insurance companies spend about 2.5 billion dollars per year on mold and water damage problems?
Having mold is a common problem everyone deals with at some point. Knowing what to do and when to call a professional is very important.
If you suspect there’s mold in your home, you came to the right place. Read on to know more about how to get rid of mold.
What is Mold?
Mold, also known as fungus, is a small organism. Mold is very common in the environment and spreads quickly.
Mold has small spores that can be carried in the air by a small gust of wind. Mold can be many colors, such as black, white, purple, orange, and green.
Types of Mold
There are many types of mold, for example. Cladosporium is a mold that grows in cold and warm environments.
Most commonly found in carpets, wood, fabrics, and cooling ducts. This mold can be black, brown, or green.
Another type of mold is Penicillium. This mold with a fuzzy texture. It can be blue, yellow, or green. You are likely to find this type of mold in basements that have had water damage or under carpets and insulation.
Aspergillus is a mold that doesn’t require much ventilation. It does best in walls, dry foods attics, and fabrics. This mold can be green, white, or gray and has a powdery texture.
How it Affects your Health?
Constant exposure to mold can harm your health. It can cause respiratory problems such as asthma and allergies.
Some people are more sensitive than others. The people at high risk are infants, elders, children, people with allergies, and other respiratory problems.
Being exposed to large amounts of mold can be harmful to everyone’s health, especially if you have allergies. People with allergies can be more sensitive to mold, causing them to have difficulty breathing.
More examples of allergic reactions to mold are a runny nose, red eyes, sneezing, congestion, throat irritation, skin rash, or a fever. Individuals who have asthma can have an asthma attack.
What are Signs of mold?
It is essential to know the signs of mold in your home to prevent it from spreading and becoming a bigger issue. Mold will start very small and quickly expands. It is easy to tell if there is mold based on the musty and earthy smell.
Mold can have a cottony texture, and it can be any color.
Other signs you may have mold in your home are if you have recently suffered from water damage.
There is a good chance there is mold, the area should be thoroughly checked for mold. Mold grows and spreads very fast in moist areas. Mold can appear within 48 hours.
Another sign of mold in your home is if there are water leaks in your pipes. It could be a sign there is mold growing.
Repairing and drying the affected surface right away will help prevent mold from growing. Otherwise, it can start in the bathroom, and in a few days, you will find mold in closet.
Once you have detected the mold in your home, you will need to take some safety precautions. Before you begin to remove the mold, you should open the windows to ensure the area is well ventilated.
Make sure to be well aware of what chemicals you are going to be using. It is crucial never to mix ammonia or other cleaners with bleach since it can cause toxic fumes.
It’s recommended you wear old clothing and old shoes that you don’t mind throwing away if damaged. Using gloves, goggles, and a face mask will help prevent you from touching or inhaling directly and cleaner fumes.
How to Get Rid of Mold?
Before you start removing the mold, you need to see what type of surface it is on to determine which cleaning method will work best, and knowing what kind of cleaners you are going to be using.
A natural cleaner you can use to remove mold is undiluted white vinegar can help remove mold from hard surfaces like kitchens and baths. Stronger cleaners that help remove mold are baking soda and borax, chlorine bleach, and hydrogen peroxide.
Using your cleaner of choice, you will need something to scrub with like a hard bristle brush would work best if you are working on a non-porous surface.
If you are working on a porous surface, you must take a different cleaning approach.
Porous surfaces are carpet, fabric, or drywall, anything that liquid can pass through. If the mold is located on a porous surface like a carpet, you will have to soak it if it is not too severe.
Using hydrogen peroxide will work best to penetrate. After it has soaked for a while, scrub it using vinegar and soap and salt water to wash away the smell. Be sure to do this outside to prevent the mold from spreading to clean areas.
If the item is too contaminated or uncleanable, it will be necessary to dispose of it to prevent contamination.
None porous Surface
A non-porous surface is easier to clean. All you need is a good brush to scrub and good soap detergent and a disinfectant of your choice. Some people choose to use vinegar, but you can use bleach if you are looking for a more potent disinfectant.
When to Hire a Professional
If you have tried all of these steps to get rid of mold and are still struggling or the mold exposure is too severe, it may be time to call a professional. In the U.S., about half of the houses have mold, or they have had it in the past, experts say.
If there are more than 10 feet of mold in an area, you have to call in a professional for help, says the Environmental Protection Agency.
When you call in, a professional mold specialist will collect swab samples and inspect the area. In their lab, they will analyze their information and make the best recommendation on what to do to fix the issue.
Are You Ready to Fix Your Mold Problem?
Now that you know how to get rid of mold, you’re ready to tackle the problem head-on. Remember, there are different types of mold, they can have serious consequences on your health, and you must call an expert if it gets out of control.
If you enjoyed these tips and you would like to learn more, check out the rest of our site.